7.00pm to 8.30pm, Wednesday 8 April
This event has already taken place
The Ri building may be closed, but our work continues online. Register below to receive a link to the livestream.
Physics is a crucially important science that tells us about the Universe and the nature of reality itself.
Join Jim Al-Khalili as he explores the fundamental concepts of space, time, energy, and matter, and describes the three pillars of modern physics, quantum theory, relativity, and thermodynamics.
During this time your donations are extremely important to the Ri.
By donating £5 to the Ri your support enables us to continue our vision to inspire everyone to think more deeply about science and its place in our lives. You can make your donation go even further by agreeing to Gift Aid it. Every £1 you donate could be worth £1.25 to the Royal Institution at no extra cost to you.
Every donation makes a difference and we are extremely grateful to all of our supporters.
Jim Al-Khalili has presented The Life Scientific on Radio 4 since 2011. Although his ‘day job’ is as an academic professor of physics at the University of Surrey, where he also has a chair in the public engagement in science, he has achieved wider prominence as a public scientist, author and broadcaster. He has fronted a number of radio and television documentaries, mainly on BBC4, including Chemistry: A Volatile History, which was nominated for a BAFTA in 2010.
We are running the live stream via a browser-based platform called WebinarJam. You don’t need to download anything – after registering, you will receive a link to access the live stream ‘room’ on your web browser. We recommend that you use Google Chrome.
1. Register for the live stream by clicking the ‘Register now’ button above
2. Enter your first name and email address
3. Click ‘Register now’
4. You will be redirected to a registration completion page where you receive your link to the livestream 'room'
5. Click the link and bookmark the page, or copy and paste the link into a Word document to keep it safe so that you can return to it later
6. You should also receive a confirmation email containing your link. If not, check your spam filter and mark the email as safe so that you will receive further emails from us about this event.
7. Your link gives you access the WebinarJam live stream room. If the live stream hasn’t started yet, this will be a ‘waiting room’
8. When the livestream begins, you can submit your comments and questions via the chat forum
9. Keep an eye on the chat forum for further links and information, for example to purchase the speaker’s book
10. Don’t worry if you miss the livestream. You will receive an email with a link to access a replay video, which will be available for 24 hours after the live stream. Check your spam filter if you don't receive this email. The video will also be uploaded onto our YouTube channel.
If you have any issues with your registration, please contact us at email@example.com.
The stream will go live at 6.55pm, and the introduction will begin at 7.00pm.
If you miss the livestream, it will be available to watch on WebinarJam for the following 24 hours.
Benefit from free and better than half-price tickets, special offers and access to the CHRISTMAS LECTURES ticket ballot.