Ri Membership and Ri Patrons
Ri Membership offers options for people of all ages and backgrounds with an interest in science to join the Ri. In addition to our membership options, the Ri Patrons programme offers a range of exclusive benefits as well as further insight into our world-class education and heritage programmes.
Please note that ‘membership’ refers to both the Ri Membership scheme and the Ri Patrons programme.
- Your membership is an annual membership and your payment covers a period of one year from the date of purchase or the date specified when purchasing a gift membership.
- Membership is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Your membership will be confirmed on the date of purchase.
- Your membership pack (for new members or renewing members) will be sent by second class post and should reach you in 15 working days.
- If you have not received your membership pack by the end of this period, please contact the Ri Membership team to arrange for a replacement.
- Lost or stolen membership cards will be replaced free of charge in the first instance. Subsequent requests for a replacement card will each carry a £5 administration charge (unless, in the event of theft, a police report is provided). In all cases, the minimum time taken for replacement cards to reach you is 15 working days.
- Your membership card can only be used by the named member. Proof of identity may be requested on presentation of your membership card.
- If you are unable to show a valid membership card on entry to an event, you may be required to show proof of your membership or pay ticket fees before you are admitted, which are non-refundable.
- Ri Patron subscriptions are split between a benefit portion and a suggested donation. The suggested donation portion is eligible for Gift Aid and as a charity we are able to claim 25p on top of every £1 made as a donation to us. You may purchase the benefits separately if you prefer not to make a philanthropic donation. Alternatively you may choose to gift the whole amount of your subscription as a pure donation, with no complimentary benefits expected in return, making the entire amount eligible for Gift Aid. Please note if you would like to make your donation via CAF (Charities Aid Foundation) or via another charitable foundation and take up the benefits, two payments must be made so that we receive the benefits portion of your subscription separately.
- You are encouraged to book your tickets in advance as there is no reserved allocation for members once events have sold out.
- Direct Debit payments will be taken within six weeks of joining the Ri and on an annual basis from when your membership renewal is due. You will be notified of the upcoming collection of your subscription at least four weeks in advance of your renewal date.
- If you intend to cancel your membership you must notify the Ri Membership team prior to the start of the month in which you are due to be renewed.
- You can renew or upgrade your membership, and update your contact details at any time. Simply contact the Ri Membership team at email@example.com or by calling +44 (0)20 7491 6588 Monday to Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm.
- The Ri may close to the public during the course of the year due to external venue hire or for the delivery of our programmes. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- We reserve the right, at our discretion, to refuse entry and/or membership and/or to revoke membership without refund if the member behaves in a threatening or abusive manner towards any person at the Ri, damages or threatens to damage any of the collections or property of the Royal Institution, or acts in a manner which in the Ri’s sole opinion brings the Ri into disrepute.
- We reserve the right to revoke your membership at any time, without financial compensation, if you commit any breach of these terms and conditions.
- We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.
- The membership subscription rates and benefits have been set by the Board of Trustees and Ri management, in accordance with the Ri’s Byelaws.
- All members of the Ri aged 18 or above must abide by the rules and regulations set out in the Ri Byelaws.